PERSONAL LEARNING ACCOUNT
Are you looking for flexible part-time training? You may qualify for a Personal Learning Account if you are employed and earn less than £29,533, have been furloughed, or if your job is in jeopardy.
WHAT IS A PERSONAL LEARNING ACCOUNT?
A Personal Learning Account allows you to study part-time while fulfilling your other obligations. It enables you to acquire the necessary skills and qualifications to either change careers or advance in your current position.
Personal Learning Accounts in Wales are fully funded by the Welsh Government and offer flexible courses and qualifications.
By gaining new skills and qualifications that local employers demand, you can progress in your current job or completely transition to a new career.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Your eligibility will be assessed during the application process. To be eligible, you must:
1. Reside in Wales.
2. Have an interest in gaining skills/qualifications in priority sectors.
3. Be 19 years old or older.
Additionally, you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
• Be employed (including self-employed) and earn less than the median income (£29,534).
• Be a furloughed worker, including those who have accessed or are accessing the UK Government’s Job Support Scheme.
• Be a worker on a zero-hour contract or agency staff.
• Be at risk of redundancy due to the economic impact of COVID-19 or the UK’s departure from the European Union. This includes situations where your anticipated annual salary for this financial year will be less than £29,534 or if your employment in an affected sector is at risk.
You will not be eligible if, at the time of application, you are:
• Under 19 years old.
• Attending school or college full-time.
• Enrolled in full-time higher education.
• Enrolled in Welsh Government-funded Work-Based Learning.
• An ineligible overseas national.
• Receiving an Assembly Learning Grant or Education Maintenance Allowance.
• Unemployed (without a contract of employment).
REDUNDANCY AND PERSONAL LEARNING ACCOUNT
If you are currently furloughed or facing redundancy, the Personal Learning Account program is designed specifically for you. Even if you are made redundant while pursuing your learning, it is encouraged to continue your education if circumstances permit.
Personal Learning Accounts are administered in collaboration with the ReAct program. If you qualify for ReAct, it is advisable to continue your learning instead of prematurely ending your participation in the Personal Learning Account program.
Please note that if you choose to study through a Personal Learning Account, you will not be eligible for ReAct vocational training support.
If eligible, you can receive the following assistance from the ReAct program:
• ReAct wage subsidy element (Employer Recruitment Support).
• ReAct employer training grant (Employer Training Support).
• Continue training through the Personal Learning Account.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A PERSONAL LEARNING ACCOUNT
To apply for a Personal Learning Account, please CONTACT US. Our Career Coaches will provide excellent career advice and guidance and support you throughout the application process.
For more information, visit the Careers Wales website.