PERSONAL LEARNING ACCOUNT
Are you looking for part-time training that is flexible? You may be eligible for a Personal Learning Account if you are employed and earn less than £29,533, have been furloughed, or your job is in jeopardy.
WHAT IS A PERSONAL LEARNING ACCOUNT?
A Personal Learning Account will allow you to study part-time while still fulfilling your other obligations. It will allow you to acquire the skills and qualifications you require to change careers or advance in your current position.
The Welsh Government fully funds Personal Learning Accounts, which provide flexible courses and qualifications.
You’ll be able to gain new skills and qualifications that local employers require, allowing you to advance in your current job or change careers entirely.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Eligibility will be checked when you apply, you must:
- Live in Wales.
- Want to gain skills/qualifications in priority sectors
- 19 years old or over
In addition, you must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Be employed (including self-employed) earning under the median income (£29,534), or
- A furloughed worker, including anyone who has accessed or is accessing the UK Government’s Job Support Scheme, or
- A worker on a zero hour contract, or
- Agency staff, or
- At risk of being made redundant, or
- Employed and been ‘financially’ negatively impacted by the economy, for example where your anticipated annual salary this financial year will be less than £29,534 or the future of your employment is at risk due to working in a sector which is likely to see a negative impact going forward due to COVID-19 or the UK’s departure from the European Union
You won’t be eligible if when you apply you are:
- Under the age of 19; or
- Attending school or college full-time as a pupil or student; or
- In full-time higher education or
- In Welsh Government funded Work Based Learning
- An ineligible overseas national; or
- In receipt of an Assembly Learning Grant or Education Maintenance Allowance; or
- Unemployed (that you do not have a contract of employment)
REDUNDANCY AND PERSONAL LEARNING ACCOUNT
If you’ve been furloughed or are facing redundancy, the Personal Learning Account programme is for you. If you are made redundant while pursuing your learning, you are encouraged to continue pursuing your learning if circumstances allow.
Personal Learning Accounts will be administered in collaboration with the ReAct programme. To access ReAct, you should continue your learning rather than exiting the Personal Learning Account programme early.
You will not be able to receive ReAct vocational training support if you are studying through a Personal Learning Account.
If you are eligible, you can receive the following assistance from the ReAct programme:
- The ReAct wage subsidy element of the ReAct programme (Employer Recruitment Support)
- The ReAct employers training grant (Employer Training Support)
- Continue training through the Personal Learning Account
HOW TO APPLY FOR A PERSONAL LEARNING ACCOUNT
To apply for a Personal Learning Account, CONTACT US. You will receive excellent career advice and guidance and be supported throughout the application process by our Career Coaches.
Further information can also be found on the Business Wales website.